Come Build Your Career at Aecon!
As a Canadian leader in infrastructure development, Aecon is safely and sustainably building what matters for future generations to thrive! We lead some of the most impactful infrastructure projects of our generation, at the forefront of transformational change in transportation and energy, and partnering every day to build, connect, power, and strengthen our communities.
At Aecon, you can count on:
- Safety First. Our number one core value. If we can’t do it safely, we don’t do it at all.
- Integrity. We lead by example, with humility and courage.
- Accountability. We’re passionate about delivering on our commitments.
- Inclusion. We provide equitable opportunities for everyone.
We lead the infrastructure industry with purpose, and our people are at the heart of everything we do. So, we invest in our people, just like they invest in us!
At Aecon we:
- Ensure you and your family receive the services needed to support your mental, emotional, and physical well-being.
- Believe in helping you build your career through our Aecon University and Leadership Programs.
- Are committed to supporting and investing in inclusive work environments, through initiatives like Equity, Diversity & Inclusion training, our Aecon Women in Trades and Aecon Diversity in Trades programs, and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to ensure we are building inclusion into every aspect of our culture at Aecon.
- Are a leader in sustainable construction. With a strong commitment to operating responsibility by minimizing our impact on the environment and surrounding communities.
Our business success relies on strong execution and continuous improvement – driven by the diversity, expertise and teamwork of our people. We’re always searching the globe for innovative, collaborative minds to join our best-in-class Aecon community!
What is the Opportunity?
Reporting to the Manager of Estimating, the Estimator will be responsible for accurately estimating the cost of all elements for telecommunications projects within our Utilities sector. This includes accurately estimating the cost of labour, equipment and materials for the supply and installation, as well as, responsible for the direction, preparation and documentation of work completion estimates for telecommunications utilities construction projects.
The primary location of this position is Etobicoke, Ontario, however; we may consider a remote work arrangement for candidates located in other Canadian cities/provinces.
What You’ll Do Here
- Shared accountability for the overall financial performance of projects awarded.
- Analyzes documents, drawings, specifications, addenda, and quotations in preparation for pricing.
- Reviewing project site prior to price preparation.
- Performs quantity take-off from drawings where applicable.
- Coordinates pricing from Suppliers / Subcontractors and incorporates into estimate.
- Work in partnership effectively with Operations, PMO, Finance, Procurement and Owners staff as appropriate.
- Formulates all costs for tender submission – labour, equipment, material, rentals, and subcontracts.
- Accountable for accuracy and completeness of submissions.
- Conducts Bid Closing and Bid Handover meetings, and job set-ups as required.
- Tracks, forecasts, and reports on the financial and operational performance of selected projects and provides data to support forecasts.
- Supports Scope Change development as required.
- Provides technical support to field staff as appropriate.
- Ensures Post Bid / Post Project Analysis completion and ensures that associated learnings are captured, and that appropriate internal communication takes place.
- Assists with Prequalification, RFQ and RFI submissions as required.
- Frequent contact with the public (Job sites visits, Clients, Consultants, Sub trades).
- Travel required to and from owner offices, work sites and for pre-tender site review, can include overnight travel.
What You Bring to the Team
- Diploma / Degree / Trade Certification.
- Understanding of telecommunication utilities systems and associated civil works an asset.
- 5 to 10 years estimating experience – telecommunications systems an asset.
- Capable of reading and understanding construction drawings and contract specifications.
- ECI / Design-build / EPC experience an asset.
- Experience and knowledge in product selection and implementation an asset.
- Knowledge of contract language / Terms and Conditions / Surety etc.
- Understanding of job cost fundamentals and accounting / reporting an asset.
- Ability to carry drawing and diaries, use stairs, climb rough terrain when visiting site.
- Adaptable to flexible work schedule when required to meet deadlines, working independently with minimal supervision, and with others as a team.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel as required.
- Professional designation an asset (P.Eng., C.E.T., CTech).
What Make us Aecon Proud
- Engaging and agile workplace culture, collaborative and inclusive teams.
- Commitment to sustainability and to becoming a net-zero company by 2050.
- Variety of wellness benefits, employer-paid health and dental premiums, and more.
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities.
- Recognition and rewards through Aecon Accolades, Aecon Achievement Awards and more.
- Short Term Incentive Program, Retirement Savings, and Employee Share Purchase options.
Aecon fosters diversity, inclusion and belonging within and across our organization. We welcome all to apply including, women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
We are committed to adhering to the objectives and requirements outlined in the Accessible Canada Act (ACA), and to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner, through the implementation of the requirements of the ACA and its applicable regulations. If you require accommodation under the ACA during any step of the application process please click here.